28 May 2010

Tbilisi, Georgia





So we rolled into Georgia's capital in time for lunch and checked into a very nice hotel in the centre of the city. The room's even got air con and a balcony. Although everyone enjoys the luxury of the hotels you do find yourself not seeing much of the group as everyone is scattered everywhere. I think though after 6 bush camps in 7 nights not many will be complaining about the unlimited supply of hot water!

I spent the first day having a potter around the city but the traffic is chaos as the 26th May is Georgian Independence day and you find yourself just waiting to be run over as you cross 5 lanes of crazy drivers. The evening was spent at an Irish American bar where everyone could choose some more homely food which was nice. Ben was very happy with his pancakes and Vermont maple syrup.

Independence day was also Roberta's and James' birthday and I woke up with food poisoning. Everyone else went out to see military parades and the opening of a new ultra modern foot bridge whilst I spent it in bed. Managed to drag myself out for some food in the eve but it was pretty much a wasted day.

Feeling slightly better I joined the others for Zaza's walking tour to the Tsminda Sameba cathedral which was huge and to the fort for good views of the city. It was good to get out but I think most were struggling with the uphill climbing in the heat of the day. In the afternoon I planned to find the shops to get some bits and pieces- sunglasses, flip flops, some more toiletries and clothes before we get into much more remote countries but a metro trip and a lot of walking later I came to the conclusion that there isn't any. Will have to make do with what I've got!

To celebrate Kylie's birthday we had planned to go out for a group meal but the restaurant cancelled last minute in order to take a wedding booking so we all went separate ways. some of us ate in the KGB bar and then went to a jazz bar but it was generally a quite night all round.

We have one more bush camp enroute to the Azerbaijan border and then that's Georgia done. It's been a very quick 15 days but I think everyone's had a brilliant time and I've especially enjoyed the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment