20 August 2010

Vientiane, Laos









With 2 days in the capital of Laos, Vientiane I wasn't too impressed when I saw the city- promenade in the making and generally a pile of mixed matched buildings. I've had a great time though. Some of us hired bikes (shoppers with baskets- Lesley wasn't impressed!) to cycle the 50km plus to the Budda park which was like a garden centre of stone Buddas. Pretty cool really especially the huge reclining Budda. We all enjoyed a game or 2 of ten pin bowling in the evening and I found out that my life long bowling technique wasn't the norm, much to everyone's amusement. I subsequently lost- a lot!

Today it's been so hot, so I had a potter round the city and saw the equivalent of the Arc de Triomphe built and unfinished in 1962. Hideous- even the plaque described it as a 'monster of concrete'! Afternoon was spent cooling off around the very nice outdoor swimming pool in the city.

Tomorrow we are back to basics as we head to the National Parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment