18 December 2012

El Chalten, Argentina

07/12/12

We left Calafate and headed 4 hours north to El Chalten also still in Los Glaciers National Park. I'd love to say the scenery was amazing but I actually slept most of the way!! The weather was awful when we got there, lots of wind and rain but we still managed to head out for a short walk. El Chalten is one of the trekking capitals of Argentina so most of us dug out our boots and went for a hike. On the 1st day we headed for a 7 hour long walk to see Glacier Grande. It was pretty spectacular scenery, if a little windy. The next day I headed out my myself to walk to see Mt Fitzroy. It was a relatively flat walk past beautiful lake Capri. It was eventful though as I saw 4 woodpeckers, a condor, a mini avalanche and a bolt of lightning

Pete and Graham rocked into town with perfect timing on the last day, just as we were eating tea. They looked shattered after surviving on minimal sleep after picking up the truck in Uruguay. As a celebration we all had a few drinks in the local micro brewery before heading south the next day

No comments:

Post a Comment