23 February 2011

New Plymouth



After a brief overnight stop in Wellington I headed to the west coast of north island to the city of new Plymouth. Quite few people said that it was a nice city to visit for a few days so I took their advice and spent 4 nights in the city. That was after I found the hostel after walking over 3km and thankfully being rescued by a man at the cricket ground who drove me to the door after much confusion as to where the hostel was actually located! With 2 great days of hot and sunny weather I walked along the coast to Paritutu Hill which was a quick, but steep scramble to the top. There were some fantastic views of the coast and the Sugar Loaf islands, the city and the neighbouring power station. Sadly there was no view of Mt Taranaki, the resident volcano due to lots of cloud inland. New Plymouth is also famous for its parks so I visited Pukekura which was huge and features some pretty lakes, a waterfall, open air stage, a mini zoo, bush walks and a lot of ducks! The weather wasn't great the final day so I had a lie in, went to the museum and did lots of boring stuff like laundry and trying to make my backpack lighter.

I'm currently in Auckland just for 1 night and had a lovely meal out with Katie and Taylor last night. This afternoon I fly to Sydney on the hunt for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment