30 March 2011

Ayr



I spent just 1 night in Airlie. It's basically just a little town full of bars and not much else which serves as the leaving point for overnight sailing trips to the Whitsunday islands. As I wasn't going sailing I had a nice afternoon lounging around the artificial lagoon on the sea front. You can't swim in the sea here because of lots of jelly fish. From Airlie I got a bus to the little inland farming town of Ayr which proudly declares that it gets 300 sunny days a year.. This town has more fruit and veg picking work than workers in the peak season so I was hoping to pick up some work here. I been here 7 days now and there's still no work due to a very rainy couple of weeks. I think i'm going to sit out the boring and costly wait though as I will get the hours when the work comes which should be within the next week. Theres not a huge amount in Ayr. A couple of pubs and supermarkets, a McDonalds (besides the library, the only place to get internet) but no actual shops to buy clothes and things which is good. The town is also stuck in a time warp. Instead of the usual DVD hire shop there is one filled with videos so the hostel is full of people lounging around watching very old videos and reading books. The places is also full of geckos and tree frogs wandering the walls in the evening which is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment