8 March 2011

Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay



I arrived in a very wet and rainy Coffs Harbour after about 10 hours on a bus from Sydney. Lots of people I'd met had told me to stop here as it's nice but sadly I couldn't really make use of what the town had to offer. Had some very wet and windy walks around the gardens, beach and also to Mutton Bird island which is actually attached to the harbour!

After 3 nights in Coffs and no jobs around I headed to northern New South Wales and to Byron Bay where the sun was shining. Byron's a very small town but is packed with current backpackers and the backpackers who came 20 years ago but never left. Lots of hippies, people busking and walking around with no shoes. I had a good hour on the beach before I was rained off which was nice. I also walked up to Cape Byron which is the most easterly point of Australia and then up a pretty steep hill to the lighthouse. I was very dissapointed about the lack of a multiple city sign post with distances!

I only stayed 1 night in Byron but if good weather was guaranteed I could easily have stayed longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment