21 March 2011

Bundaberg

Bundaberg is a typical working class Aussie town with some cool architectural building typical of the tropical north- large through windows and balconies. The town is also home to the Bundaberg rum distillery which is advertised by a polar bear so there is a bit of a theme to town. I headed to Bundaberg in the hope of finding farm work but what I got was lots of rain, a horrible hostel, crazy humidity and a town that shuts entirely at the weekend. Bundaberg was hit badly by the Christmas floods so there is very little farm work which has been divided up between the 100's of backpackers here. I've asked around and most are getting just a couple of hours a day which pays the rent and thats about it. I've decided to push on north towards Cairns but after a day of sleeping with nothing to do in town, the only bus I can get is late this evening and I've had to check out of hostel so I'm left which nothing to do for the day but sit in the library whilst it's pouring down outside. My legs did get picked up my a PR for a camera company which was a little bizarre! I'm getting on a night bus to Airlie Beach which will take 12 hours this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment